1. My name is Colleen. If I was a boy, my name would have Patrick. Instead I have lived my entire life with teachers looking up from attendance lists to say “isn’t that a pretty Irish name!” Pretty good for an anglicized version of cailín.
2. I got married September 22 and it was the best day of my life. I married my best friend, in Vermont on a beautiful Fall day. We had a laid back potluck reception in a barn in Vermont. It was day full of love. As a bride, I wanted a laid back fun day, and it became a reality. It took a lot of planning, and many helping hands, but we did it. Everybody had such a great day, and we are so thankful.
3. I am an inspiring writer. 📓Since I have been a little girl I have wanted to write. My moods are better when I am writing, and I enjoy the blog. I struggle with conversations, but my words flow easily on paper. I enjoy sharing my life with you here, and hope to continue to grow the blog. Someday I also hope to write a book.
4. I lost my Mother when I was 24 years old, and it had changed the way I look at the world. She passed away from complications from alcoholism in 2015. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think of her.My life is split now into before and after. I have a better grip on how precious life is now. That realization has challenged my path in life. We make this assumption that tomorrow will always be there, but it is never guaranteed. Say I love you. Laugh. Spend time with your love ones, and make life count. you never know when your number is going to be called.
5. I love Pad Thai. My husband made me try this dish when we first dating. I grew up on simple home-cooked meals, and refused it at first. He eventually got me to try it, and now I love it. There is an amazing Thai place in Peterborough NH called the Thai Cafe, where we go.
6. I love reading, but I couldn’t read until I was almost eight years old. I couldn’t read at all until 3rd grade. I was struggling so my teacher put me into a special reading class. We spent extra time reading, and I overcame it. Now I love reading, and I am so thankful they believed in me.
7. I had a difficult childhood, but I don’t talk about it much because I’m afraid it will define me. My mother was an alcoholic. When she would drink, she would be verbally abusive and neglect her family. I still remember police officers pulling me out of a car she drove into a ditch when I was seven. She struggled with many demons, and unfortunately it changed us. I struggle with emotions, and I hold things in, and I always try to be strong. I don’t talk about it much. It is part of who I am, but being the child of an alcoholic does not define me.
8. I am the happiest when I traveling. 🏔 I feel so free in a car rolling down the highway to a new destination. A few years back, I traveled from New Hampshire to Utah by car. The trip was an incredible adventure. I don’t enjoy being stagnant, and find happiness in movement. I hope to make this a bigger part of my life.
9. I believe good coffee can help solve any problem. I enjoy the vibe of small coffee shops, and a steamy cup of locally roasted coffee. Sitting down at the end of a long day to a cup of coffee calms me down.
10. I wear my heart on my sleeve.People get mad at me when I tell them I can’t invest in politics. The reason I can’t is because when I’m in, I’m all in. My emotions are incredibly intense, and I lack coping skills due to my upbringing. If I have a bad fight with someone, it will ruin the day for me. For the sake of my mental health. I have to be selective in what I jump into.
11.I am an introvert and have a really hard time connecting.I have a really hard time with new people. I struggle with small talk, and clam up. I have gotten better with it the last few year, but it still scares me. I have a quiet reserved personality, and never know what to say to people. I will warm up, but it takes time.
12. I love ghost stories and Halloween. Mysteries are intriguing and make for the best stories. I love Halloween, and am drawn to all the spooky stories. I am really into old school scares, the type void of blood and guts, but gives you chills. I enjoy ghost stories that have strong backbones, but with dark corners that leave you guessing. This year, I discovered The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix, and loved it.
13. I love dogs 🐶 I am a crazy dog lady. If I had my way, the house would be full of dogs. We have been lucky to have two great dogs. Birdie was an older boxer owned by my husband. Our relationship started when we started dating. I wasn’t sure she would like me, but she accepted me into their lives, and my life is better for it. We lost her to cancer, and went a year without a dog. Not having a dog in the house made me so sad. This spring we added a new member of our family, Madison. It has been neat watching her grown into her personality. Dogs are a big part of my life.
14. I feel at home in Downeast Maine. I spend time in Downeast Maine each summer growing up during childhood. I enjoy Bar Harbor, but there is so many other incredible places. Eastport, Maine is a small town on the edge of the United States fighting its way back. In Stonington you can watch the sun come up over the Atlantic before grabbing a cup of Coffee at 44 North in the Summer. People fixate on Bar Harbor, but there is so much more to the area.
15. Fall is my favorite season.🍁 Change is a beautiful thing, but we often forget that. The reason that Spring is beautiful is because it follows a season of darkness. Change allows us to look at our world in a new way. I am thankful that I live in a part of the country that sees so much transition.
16. I love Fiber Arts. I got into fiber arts a few years ago. I started knitting, and It has evolved into a full blown addiction. I now can knit, crochet, and weave. At some point I want a farm with alpacas. I want to spin wool and made beautiful handmade things. \
17. I am very stubborn. My Mother once broke her hip, and went to the emergency room. The nurse told her that they would have to cut her jeans off. She informed the nurse that there was no way in Hell they were cutting her new Levis off. She then proceeded to take said pants off. I get my stubbornness from my Mother, I’ll leave it at that.
18. I need quiet places to recharge. I am an introverted, and crowds wear me out. When I have a rough day, I will find a quiet corner of the house and read. If I spend too much time in a loud environment, I end up getting overwhelmed.
19. I call New Hampshire home. I was born in New Hampshire, and have spent the majority of my life here. This state is small, but brimming with life. In one day you can see the mountains and the ocean. I may wander, but I will always find my way home.
20. I enjoy telling my story in pictures. 📷 I have always enjoyed looked at things in a new way. I enjoy taking pictures with my phone, and with my camera. A few years back I bought a nice Nikon, and like to take photos with it. I enjoy taking pictures of landscapes, and building the most.
So I hope that you have enjoyed this post. What are some interesting facts about you? If so drop it in the comments. Thanks to everyone who has been on the journey so far!
Till next time,